Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I'm no expert, but here goes...

This blog is somewhat like an ADD puppy, joyously sprinting around this way and that, smelling everything in sight.  The puppy doesn’t really know where he’s going, but he’s having a good time taking it all in.

I’ve been drinking wine extremely casually for quite some time now.  My knowledge about wine was limited to what you can learn from the movie Sideways.  That’s why, until recently, I just knew that I had to hate Merlot and have an undying love of Pinot Noir.  Don’t get me wrong, I do like Pinot, but I’ve found that I actually don’t mind a little Merlot now and then either.

A while back a friend of mine introduced me to Gary Vaynerchuck and his Wine Library TV podcast.  I started watching and became really interested in expanding my palette and trying out some different things.  I decided that it was about time that I try something besides Pinot and Shiraz.  Shortly after that my wife and I visited my father-in-law in Kennewick, Washington, which is right in the middle of the Washington state wine country.  I had the opportunity to visit several wineries and learn more about the process of wine-making.  Right away I was hooked.  I got my first wine tasting experience, which included some great Merlot.  All of the enthusiasm that had been building up prior to that trip exploded into a genuine passion that I have been gently nurturing ever since.  I am still very green, but I thought that this blog would be a great way to chronicle my growth in wine.  I plan to blog about every last wine that I drink.  I hope that over time my palette will become more refined, but for now you can get the perspective of someone who just loves good wine.  You will also have the added benefit of the input that I get from my beloved wife, who seems to have a much more talented natural palette than I do.

Drink up, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment