Saturday, November 28, 2009

Give thanks

Helllooo!!!!!

I’m so sorry I have been MIA for two days! Thursday was nuts and the Hilton we stayed at didn’t have free Internet. I’m back in Alexandria now and can’t wait to tell you about the last couple of days! So let’s get to it!

Thursday morning came quickly and I woke up really excited to run. An unmentioned brother woke up a little late, so it was a scramble to get ready fast so we could pick him up. I threw together a quick pre-run breakfast with some hard-boiled eggs that I had packed.

1/2 English muffin with Promise, 1 egg and 1 egg white, and 1/2 banana. I ate breakfast in the car.

We got downtown about a half hour before registration closed and you wouldn’t BELIEVE the crowds! OMG! I heard people saying there were 7,000 people running! That many people is great, but not when the event is extremely disorganized. The line for registration was soooo long and inefficient, we waited at least a half hour.

And they ran out of t-shirts! Apparently they’ll send them in the mail…

The runners took off at 8:20 and we ended up departing with the walkers around 8:40, which really wasn’t a problem. It was a great morning for a run and the route took us all through downtown and by the river. The brothers took off ahead of me early on, but I felt like I maintained a good pace.

Pillgrams!

The Turkey Day 5k was very much a “fun run.” I was dodging walkers, dogs and strollers the entire three miles; up on curbs and into the grass. I’m lucky I didn’t sprain an ankle!

The run wasn’t chipped, but according to my watch, I ran the race in 28 minutes. Not my personal best, but I”m not worried about it because I ‘m really not sure that time is accurate (or at least I’ll tell myself it wasn’t!).

Total Time: 28 minutes

5k Run

Average heart rate: 185

Max heart rate: 216

Time in the zone: 25 mins

Total cals burned: 325

NOTE: HEART RATE, 216!!!!!

We left almost immediately after the run and dropped Eric off so he could get the oven heated. John and I headed to the grocery store to get Eric a couple things he needed for the turkey, and I needed ingredients for a salad I was assigned to bring. Lesson learned: there are hardly any grocery stores open on Thanksgiving Day. We drove around for almost an hour! BUT, we finally found a grocery store that was open….. WHOLE FOODS TO THE RESCUE!

I just love Whole Foods. I told John I was literally crying inside that our trip inside had to be so short. That place just makes me happy.

After finding what we needed at Whole Foods, we buzzed over to Caribou for some coffee. I ordered a dark roast coffee with steamed skim milk and two pumps of pumpkin. It was awesome! I’ll definitley be trying that again. Sorry no photo. It was a hectic morning!

Family started to show up around 1 p.m. on Thursday and it was so fun to see everyone! We didn’t end up eating dinner until 3:30ish, which gave me time to assemble my salad. Remember the article about Padma in my December Glamour?  Besides sharing tips about getting her figure back after filming, she also shared some healthy holiday recipes. I made her healthy holiday salad, with a few modifications:

  • 10 cups spinach
  • 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • 4 oranges, peeled and sliced
  • 2 cups dried cranberries
  • 1 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbs lime juice

YUM!

While cooking, I munched on some oranges AND this…

Mmmmmmmm… Pinot Grigio. Plus a couple more cheese/cracker combos + fresh veggies from our appetizer tray.

Before we knew it, dinner was ready! My plate:

A little bit of everything! Turkey, carrot ring and peas, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy and my salad. Awesome!

Plus a glass of Zinfandel.

I tried to eat slowly and keep Tina’s Thanksgiving Fouls in mind. I did go back for seconds; small tastes of the sweet potato casserole and the green been casserole. Then I was perfectly full :)

Before dinner, we all wrote one thing we are thankful for and put our thanks into a bowl. After we finished eating, we passed the bowl around and each read a thanks. I feel thankful for so many things! It was neat to hear what others wrote!

Going to the movies is kind of  Thanksgiving tradition in our family. After dinner and clean up, we all went to “The Blind Side.” WOW! What a great movie! Honestly, one of the best movies I’ve seen in a realllly long time. I didn’t cry during the movie, but just wanted to sob afterwards! I highly recommend it.

After the movie we went back to Eric’s for pie. No judging here, but I tried all three!

I swear, they weren’t as big as they looked! Very, very good.

Not too much later, we checked into our hotel and I totally crashed. Thanksgiving is hard work! I slept like a baby….Zzzzzzzz, oh how I love the holidays.

 I hope you had a HAPPY and SAFE Thanksgiving with the people you love.

[Via http://bites4thebetter.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment