Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Week of Chicago Eats

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

FAVORITE Chicago pizza, Giordano’s ~

Stuffed!

Admittedly, there are a LOT of excellent pizzerias in Chicago but I find Giordano’s crazy-good, convenient, and consistent.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hope your Thanksgiving was grand.  Everything was excellent, but my brother-in-law’s homemade cheesecake took the cake!

Chocolate-Raspberry-Cheesecake

Chocolate-Raspberry-Cheesecake

Friday – November 27, 20009

One of my favorite cafes, Atwood:

Black Friday Bloody Mary

More about Atwood later!

A late-day warm up: Vosge’s Haut Chocolat in the North Bridge Mall on Michigan Avenue.

All Kinds of Chocolate Bar

“Haut chocolat” makes wonderful “hot chocolate.”  I tried the “Bianca” white chocolate  with lavender and lemon myrtle.”  Ohhhhhh…I don’t have taste-buds sufficiently civilized to describe such savvy sweets!  All I give you is one word, “more!”  You can also purchase it to make it at home.

Oooh, but they have a “how to taste Chocolate guide” on-line!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

I baked!

These are yummy white-chocolate-walnut-cranberry cookies.  More about this later…

Sunday, November 29, 2009 – A day of rest!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Great little treat at Bin 36!

Holidays, uncorked!

I snuck in here for a glass of wine to celebrate my NaNoWriMo win (I gave myself three “bys” and this is number 2, I had a glass on Thanksgiving Day).  I knew to skip the garlic hummus but I did try the Gougeres.  They were good but surprisingly somewhat “spicy” and my new friend agreed.  Sitting at the bar, I shared them with a visitor from San Diego and she shared her Salmon Salad with me.  You can’t beat meeting a stranger at the bar and sharing good conversation and appetizers!  (The Salmon Salad was excellent!)  The bartender couldn’t explain the spiciness of the Gougeres, he offered, “pepper?” Now as I re-read the on-line menu, they are termed, “Warm Gourgeres” ~ I thought it’d referred to temperature (hot, warm, cold) but perhaps it is meant as is “spicy” warmth?

Surprise Plate of Salmon Salad!

Surprise Smoked Salmon Shared With Me

The wine I’d chosen was the 2006 Tempranillo, Codice, from Caltayud, Spain, described as: “Sexy, supple texture, medium-bodied, with a fleshy red plum leather and mineral profile” but I didn’t find it as sexy as its description.  (Could my “wine taste buds” be out-of-shape!?)

I will go back to Bin 36 – it was a fun and lively atmosphere (especially for a Monday night) and their domestic cheese list is impressive ~ looking forward to some tasting!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

foodlife !!

At foodlife, Water Tower Place

foodlife is so convenient and reasonably priced, really (especially for Mag Mile eats.  You can also grab a glass of wine from $2.95, but no, I didn’t!)  The food selection is vast (Italian, Sushi, Soup Bar…I usually enjoy the Stir-Fry though!) The shrimp they add is very fresh-tasting, cooked to order!

BTW – right now, they have $100 gift certificates, with a special “bonus” $25 gift that may be used at many “Lettuce Entertain You” restaurants, nationwide.  (The gift can only be used 1/1/10 – 4/14/10)  They’re available at the back of foodlife in Mity Nice Grill, (which I’ve heard from an “insider” has some of the city’s best French Onion soup – have you had it?)

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Gage

Excellent Lunch

And yes, wine I did!  The most I’ve ever paid for a glass of wine is $15, until I yesterday, $16 very-buttery-worthwhile chardonnay.  (This wine was my third “by” –  and last – until after January 17th, 2010, so I wanted to go out strong!) The scallops : “perfect.”  Perfect portion, perfectly prepared, seasoned ~ wonderful taste and texture!  (This lunch was worth every penny – scallops $15 – however the alcohol, in general, seemed a bit steep.)

I bought their $100 gift certificate and received the additional $25.00 bonus (1/1/10 – 3/31/10).  The Gage will be a usual destination.  I enjoyed the cozy atmosphere of the bar, while looking out at Michigan Avenue passers-by.  (Steps from Millenium Park.)  It was the perfect stop for me between the Chicago Cultural Center and The Art Institute.  The servers were pleasant and helpful, the manager personally checked on diners.  Thank you!

(I was curious how others received “The Gage” so I checked it out on TripAdvisor too.  If you aren’t in the mood for “very loud,” save it for another day.  I had a late lunch, about 1:15, and it was fine!)

[Via http://umbecauseisaidso.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment