Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"I'm leaving - I have much better wine at home. And I REALLY want to take my bra off"

Lol, so the title is a favorite line of mine.  From Cougar Town, which I have developed a mild obsession with.  I mean, seriously, what woman doesn’t have those exact thoughts while out, at some point or another.  Personally, I have a full wine cooler and comfy PJ’s at home, so I generally have this thought at least once a week lol.  (by the way, my obsession with Cougar Town spawns, not from the fact that it’s hilarious, but from the fact that I want to BE Courtney Cox in it.  I mean seriously, she’s got great friends, great family, and she’s highly confident at 41.  I totally want to be her…and I’m only 24 lol)

Another appropriate title for this post could be “Drinks for people who hate beer”  or “Recommendations for people trying to become a wino”.  Lol.  But hey, who doesn’t want to take off their bra while drinking a good glass of wine??

Speaking of wine….I love it.  I appreciate wine of all kinds.  Expensive, cheap, white, red, blush, box, jug, bottle, whatever lol.  Personally, I’m partial to reisling when I’m out to dinner.  I like the sweetness.  When I’m not feeling well (stuffed up or whatever), I’m partial to pinot grigio because the sweetness gets to be too much.  When it’s right before bed, I’m partial to red wine, generally a pinot noir.  However, I love wine of all kinds.  Now, if you are thinking, “but I just don’t like wine”, here is the secret.  Buy Valley Vineyards Honey Mead.  I have gotten at least 3 people, including my mother, to give wine a try because of it.  It is available to order online, you probably won’t find it in your grocery store.  But it’s pretty cheap, about $10.  It is sweet like juice, almost, but not overly sweet like a wine cooler or malt beverage.  It’s a nice walkway into wine.  I’d go Honey Mead, to white zin, to reisling to pinot grigio (if I were trying to develop a wine palate).  Reds are a little different.  I personally love the thicker warmth, but I know many people who never learn to like reds.  I’d suggest learning to love white wine first. 

I am currently working on developing the BF’s wine palate.  We try to go to wine tasting’s every week.  Generally they have 2 different whites and 2 different reds each week.  He’s learning to like all different sorts of white wine.  The reds can still be too much for him sometimes, and we’ve been doing this for about a year.  Some people just don’t like them.  I, personally, HATE beer.  Haven’t had a sip of beer since I was a freshman in college.  And yes the taste is unbelievably bad.  But my body tends to reject it, also.  Three beers and I was puking like a kid with the flu.  And trust me, I can hold my alcohol.  Ok, I can’t hold my alcohol, but I can drink a whole bottle of wine and still be non-pukey.  So different strokes, I guess.

I have however, had a flavored raspberry beer that I liked.  However, that’s it.  And I wouldn’t buy it for my pleasure.  I do not like any of the “flavored beers”, otherwise.  Banana beer still tastes like beer.  Tomato beer still tastes like beer.  And so on and so forth.  And yes, I’ve tried them all.  All around me are people who love, adore, worship beer.  I was to odd ball in college who always had to bring her own beverage (a bottle or wine, usually).  I still am the oddball who has to bring her own beverage to most parties I go to now, because beer is the norm.  And I love to drink.  But will not drink beer.  So unless someone wants to run me to the nearest gas station or grocery store, I’d best bring my own.  People have long ago stopped being insulted by this lol.  But point of my story….I’ve had thousands of sips forced down my throat by well-meaning people chanting, it really doesn’t taste like beer.  Yes.  It does.  Trust me.  I don’t force you to imbibe calamari or lima bean (both of which I love), do I?  So don’t force your beer on me.  THANK you.

So, moving on from my little rant.  Liquor.  I am a liquor girl too.  Tho I prefer wine to everything.  I want straight shots.  I do not want some mixed shot that is more like a drink than a shot and takes 3 or four gulps to get down.  I want a straight shot that I can put down in one head toss.  And have an immediate buzz.  Whiskey, tequila, rum, whatever.  My no-no’s are vodka and scotch.  Vodka because it was the first liquor I got drunk on….and it has haunted me ever since.  I’ll do it in a mixed drink, but shots of vodka aren’t my favorite.  (Don’t get me wrong, if you’re buying, I’m shooting, but if I’m buying, I’m not choosing vodka).  Scotch isn’t meant to be shot.  And in my opinion shouldnt be sipped either lol.  But to each his own.  If you want my mixed drink recommendations, I am a Whiskey Sour lover.  Most people really don’t like the tartness.  I adore it.  I also adore whiskey.  Did I mention that?  Amaretto Sours are also amazing, but will never ever get me drunk lol.  I once had 13 Amaretto Sours in 2 hours.  and was still totally sober.  Long Island’s are beautiful things when you are looking to get wasted fast.  But I prefer straight shots of tequila for that.  Fuzzy and/or Hairy Navals are yummy.  Hurricanes are great.  Flavored Margaritas are beautiful.  I’ll try almost anything once.  But word to the wise.  ONLY DRINK WITH SOMEONE YOU TRUST.  And trust has different meanings.  To drink with someone, I personally have top trust them to get me home and not take advantage of me.  I don’t have to trust that they are a good person lol just that they wont leave me in a bar or roofie me.  So there is my piece of advice.

Any questions?  Come have a drink with me and I’ll fill you in.  preferably in my apartment.  With my good wine.  and no bra.  But I suppose that’s negotiable.

[Via http://betterasamemory.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment