Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Fabulous Christmas Feast - A Geeky Foodie Blog

Yesterday was my family’s Christmas celebration, and every year we pick a country or region  to plan our menu around.  In the past we’ve had some terrible picks: Sweden, Germany, and the worst, our awful attempt at China.  Now, for the record, none of these countries have terrible food, it’s just that my family likes to make the “Americanized” versions of their best dishes, rendering them inedible.  The weird thing is that many of us are wonderful cooks, I think there just too many others that are… picky.  This year, I decided not to give anyone a choice.  I told my mom that I was cooking, and it would be French, and was the end of the story.

First off, I decided the main dish HAD to be cassoulet.  What says delicious and French better than Cassoulet?  I ordered my pork from Chop Butcher Chop and Charcuterie, and it just happened to be the hazelnut fed pork from Sweet Briar Farms.  It was an awesome surprise because I’ve heard so much about it!  I fully understand it’s totally geeky of me to be excited about that, but I’m alright with it if you are.

In addition to the Cassoulet, I made Duck Confit… IN A CROCK POT!  It was great!  To all those who say making Duck Confit is too much work:  it’s not!  Just throw it in a crock pot for 4-6 hours, and you’re done!  I’ve made it in the oven before, and this was exponentially easier.  Seriously, try it sometime.

Cassoulet

Cassoulet, fresh from the oven.

As a side dish, I made a salad topped with a Balsamic Vinaigrette, Toasted Hazelnuts, Pomegranate Seeds, and Roquefort Cheese.  I needed something with some freshness and acidity to balance the richness of the Cassoulet.  It worked, and it was great.

I also had a cheese platter.  Who doesn’t love a good cheese platter?  Clockwise from the top: Goat’s Milk Triple Cream from Steve’s, Cow’s Milk Brie from Pastaworks, Roquefort from Steve’s, and a Gouda from Steve’s.

Cheese Platter

Cheese!

Finally, we have dessert:  Pear Hazelnut Tart, Lemon Tart, Lemon Butter Sables, Butter Sables, and Chocolate Peanut-Butter Cookies.  My mom made the last ones.

Dessert

Dessert

After a total of about 18 hours of cooking, my lovely brother shoved some food in his mouth and complained there was too much fat, and my dad threw it in the microwave.  Really?  Ugh, it’s a good thing I didn’t do it to please them.  At least the dog wanted some… beggar.

Reagan

Reagan, the beggar.

Later, I packaged some up and took it over to my friends MissClio and TowelBoy, who actually appreciated it.  Then, MissClio and I proceeded to drink way too much – Merry Christmas indeed!

I hope you had a very Merry Christmas filled with delicious food and wonderful friends and family as well!  Happy Holidays!

A quick note – please bear with me as I get used to this whole blogging thing.  I’m new to it, but I’ll get the hang of it – I promise!

[Via http://thefabulousvoluptuary.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment