Saturday, October 3, 2009

You Get PAID to work here?

So I had an interesting encounter yesterday with a worker at a liquor store. Yes, I do like a good glass of wine, and in our state, the only place to buy it is in a liquor store.  Ridiculous, yes, I know. We should be able to buy in the grocery stores like so many other states, but that’s a different story altogether.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Napa in a couple of weeks, and in doing my research of our destination, I’ve found that there is a winery there that if you visit during harvest, which we are, and they are pressing grapes, you may have the option of stomping grapes, ala Lucy.  Really?  Oh my gosh, how fun would that be?  Now my husband isn’t too keen on the thought, but I think it will be a ball, even if I’m the only one doing it.  He can take pictures.

I thought it might be nice to try some wine from this vintner before we go.  My husband found it at one local liquor store for $45 a bottle.  That’s a little steep for us, so maybe we’ll just wait until we get there.  I was passing a liquor store close to our old house and decided to stop in and see if they had it. 

I was meandering through the wine aisles when a little old lady with a horrible bleach-job asked if she could help me.  I told her the name of the vineyard, Grgich.  Odd name for sure.  She proceeded to tell me that not every wine makes it into our state.  Yes, I’m well aware of that fact.  I informed her that my husband had indeed found it at a local store and I was just checking to see if they carried it.  when I told her the name, she said she had never heard of it.  Then she tells me, ‘well, it’s not going to say that on the label.’  Um, yeeeessss, it will.  It’s the name of the vineyard where it’s produced.  Again, ‘It’s not going to be on the label.’  What the hell does she think the label is?  how else are we supposed to tell Rutherford from Far Niente from Beringer or Grgich?  It would all say ‘Cabernet Sauvignon’ or ‘Merlot’.  She made some other comment like she was going to go and ask someone, but decided she was really too busy with straightening her register to ask.  When I left, she didn’t make any kind of eye contact.  Big shock.  They actually pay her to be there and tell people that the name of the vineyard won’t be on the label. What a nutcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment