Thursday, October 22, 2009

I and Love and You

Let’s be honest, some things are better when your half cocked. You know, semi-buzzed, tips, whatever. Rolling on the Chicago pub tran train earlier tonight I dipped into The Avett Brothers ‘I and Love and You’. Turned onto the group by my dear friend Ally I opted to finally listen through it, mostly to shut her up (kidding Als, sort of) but also because I needed new material to keep the Café steaming.

Where was I going with this? Oh, yeah. So on the train this stuff was filling the soundtrack of on and off’s. Watching people converse with mouths moving, various inflections, protected attitudes, the music washed into the scenery. Thankfully I’ve recently made it a point to iTunes star rate every song I listen to on my phone so I can double check my judgement at a later time. Only tonight that later time happens to be in concert with one of the worst bottles of wine I’ve ever had. This review is either fueled by a fun vino mind melt, botulism or a mix of both.

Let’s wander for a second.  Rick Rubin has had his hand in more production collaborations than I care to count.  Thankfully most have been to rave critical and mass review. Essentially everything this guy plugs an ear into, you should.  Aside from his early work the dude launched Def Jam with Russell Simmons, early home to my personal favorite Jay-Z, and has pumped out classic work with everyone from Johnny Cash to The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  The tie in here?  He produced this album with The Avett Bros.  That in itself warrants a cursory listen.

So while this album spins, masked by the haze of a crap wine buzz, I’ve been able to grow a slight appreciation for “I and Love and You”.  In addition to my fondness for the light hearted blue grass banjo plucking I’ve found myself picking up on some creative lyrical work.  The vocals are pronounced and prominent which unfortunately has been washed as art in some modern day indie folk rock.  Seth and Scott Avett use the proper tools here to produce great work.  There are times when you hear creation by particular artists and yearn to hear them live one day, these guys happen to by those artists.

I’m too snoozy to recommend a single track this evening but I will say listen to this album is encouraged.  Next time I do I hope it’s with a better bottle of booze.

Best effort… Kick Drum Heart, Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise, The Perfect Space, And it Spread.  Lyrically, Incomplete and Insecure.

Glad the bottle’s finished and so is this commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment