Thursday, October 29, 2009

What?! Never Heard of Cowgirl Creamery?!!

I was tempted to be sad for you if you don’t know who I am talking about, but then I remembered the light that came into my life during “April in Carneros” 2008.  What a day!  So many great wineries to be introduced to that day, then at one tasting I stumbled upon what would become an obsession-Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese. mmmmmmmmm.  So, I’m not sad for you in the slightest-I am excited for you and all that awaits you.

It is absolutely true from my point of view that the simplest things fill us with the most joy.  What is more simple than cheese I ask you?  I started my love affair with cheese like most kids-American “cheese” and string cheese were the thing.  I will tell you that I refused to even buy American “cheese” for my kids for a few years because of how cheated I felt once I started eating real cheese.  I wanted them to grow up knowing what good, simple high-quality food is.  I just described everything American “cheese” isn’t.  However, there is a time and place for everything-even American “cheese”.

At this “April in Carneros” event (that you MUST attend, BTW), I was excited to see a snack about halfway through the day at one of the vineyards.  With the mediocre chardonnay, they were serving dried mango and the Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese.  Talk about love at first bite.  Mt. Tam is a sensual experience-a creamy, luscious cheese that is not heavy, not light and with amazing depth in flavor.  The dried mango was an awesome way to serve it.  I love it with wheat crackers; I love it alone on a spoon.  I’ll take her any way I can get her, though this recipe is my favorite way to serve Mt. Tam.

 

Puff Pastry Wrapped Heaven

My absolute favorite way to use Mt. Tam!

You will need the following:

1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed

1/2 cup of a sweet/hot jam (I use my homemade Apricot-Habanero Jam)

1 round of Mt. Tam cheese by Cowgirl Creamery

2 tablespoons on melted butter

 

Preheat oven the temperature indicated on pastry instructions.

Open the sheet of puff pastry and roll out on a lightly floured surface.

Put the round of Mt. Tam in the center.

Pour the jam over the cheese.

Neatly wrap the pastry over the cheese in pleats, pinching to seal.

Bush the melted butter over the top on the pastry to help get your beautiful color.

Bake until pastry is cooked through and puffed.

Let the pastry sit for 10 minutes to set and cool just a bit, then serve with wheat crackers (or pretzel crisps!) and your favorite Chardonnay.  One of my faves right now is the Cakebread Cellars Chardonnay (2001).  Delish.

 

 

The other cheeses at Cowgirl are just as good, but different of course.  I love the cheese club CC offers, and I have ordered my faves from them mail order many times over and have never been disappointed.  I do love that I can just go to Whole Foods for it now-so convenient and fast.

I can’t finish an article on cheese in the Bay Area without mentioning another favorite place of mine-The Cheese Board in Berkeley.  Amazing selection, incredibly knowledgeable staff and if they don’t have it-it probably isn’t worth pursuing.

Cowgirl Creamery:  http://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/

Cakebread Cellars:  http://www.cakebread.com/

The Cheese Board:  http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/

April in Carneros/Holiday in Carneros: http://www.carneroswineries.org/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment