Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Wine Tasting, Community Education Style

I signed up for a wine tasting class through the Mpls Community Ed program. Yes, there was some skepticism- Is it worth my time or money?($25/4 hours)  Am I too cool for community ed? (Apparently not)

Now having attended one of the two classes, I can say that it was a worthwhile experience and that I really like this liquor store. South Lyndale Liquors (So far South I thought I was in Edina) has an excellent selection and knowledgeable staff. The prices are fair and the class itself was fun. This session was all about white varietals which I found helpful because every time I try to verbalize the top notes and layers of whites the only thing I can come up with is “armpits.”

Of course, there was (as there always is) a self proclaimed wine-o in the audience. Mr. Snobby-McSnobberson kept segueing into topics of travel and places to get ice wine. He would say things like, “How does this compare to a 1918 Blah-BlahBlah Blah?” Ahh- the joys of immersing yourself with the general public!

Final Decision- worth it. I tried 8 or so wines for $12.50 and gained a little knowledge. And had I been less sober I probably would have bought most of the wine too. I did however miss the Viking/Packer game which every true Minnesotan knows is a mortal sin- sorry guys.

If you’re in the neighborhood or this is your hood, check out:

http://www.southlyndaleliquors.com/

5300 Lyndale Ave S

Minneapolis, MN 55419-1230

(612) 827-5811

Oh, did I mention they deliver!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment