Saturday, March 6, 2010

Wine Snob

After waking up with a slight headache this morning, I felt a slight sense of shame for picking a completely horrible Sauvignon Blanc at the store last night; considering I used to be a cocktail waitress at very wine-centric restaurant.

From now on, I’m only going to spend $$ on wine that I know delivers, even if that means ignoring my craving at the moment (I wanted a chilled white, must be the warmer weather) and going for what I know from the selection at hand. (A perfectly good bottle of Louis Jadot Beaujolais still sits on the shelf there on sale for an incredible price.

While the closest I’ve been to Europe is Little Italy, Manhatten, I do consider myself a wee bit knowledgeable on the wine side for my age. At the very least, I know what I like.

  • Whites:

{Best Riesling}

K Vintners‘ Kung Fu Girl Riesling: I’ll be honest, most women who I’d serve who didn’t know a lick about wine (except that they like it sweet) would just pick the cheapest Riesling on the menu. I detested the stuff until I met this Washington Kung Fu Girl. Citrus notes like tangerine, lime and a slight peachy flavor create a balanced finish that, although sweet, doesn’t feel like your drinking a glass of sugar. This Riesling “kicks ass”.

{Best White Blend}

Sokol Blosser’s Evolution: Luck? Intention? A little of both went into finding this wine. With this blend, you will notice intense fruit flavors in the beginning, which slowly turn into a crisp finish (think about the way you taste an apple). Nine different whites go into this one bottle, including Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris.  It’s amazing with Chinese food.

{Best Sauvignon Blanc}

Nobilo’s Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc:  Last night’s disappointment made only validated my love of Nobilo. This wine is proof that you do not have to spend a lot to get a fantastic bottle of wine. I think it’s won an award nearly every year it’s been in production. Like any good sauv. blanc, there are some grapefruit notes there, but then there’s almost like an extremely light spice finish that contributes to its dryness. Let’s just say no one ever tipped me less for recommending this wine.

  • Reds:

{Best Pinot Noir}

David Bruce Pinot Noir: This is definitely a bottle that will set you back a little bit of dough, but perhaps this is one to get at the liquor store and avoid paying the marked-up place at a restaurant unless it’s a special occasion.  Usually, smoky wines aren’t my favorite, but this one is extremely subtle and is balanced nicely with the cherry notes you taste.

{Best Red Blend}

Folie a Deux Menage a Trois: Asking for this California blend at the store never fails to elicit a slight smirk from the guy behind the counter. While we may giggle about it on the way to it’s spot on the shelf, there is always a slight pause when it’s picked up and 10/10 times they say: “But seriously, this is really a great wine”. A trifecta of Zinfindel, Merlot and Cabernet, this blend is juicy, and almost has a fruit-spread (like jam) kind of quality to it, with a slight sharpness.

{Best Wine Produced by an Old Dead Guy}

Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages: Although this Burgundy is labeled “table wine”, it’s hardly close to the table wine you’d order anywhere. Maybe it’s because I’m a nerd, but I love to enjoy things with history, just knowing that people have enjoyed  the same cherry and floral notes for centuries is pretty cool.  Although this wine is dated in history, it’s certainly not something you need to keep around for years (you won’t be able to anyways!) because it can be drunk young and is very reasonably priced.

Enjoy!

{Note: These are just some of the faves of faves from tons of varietals out there, especially ones you might see at your favorite restaurant but have never tried. Feel free to ask me for more suggestions or to share your faves.}

[Via http://savorthesweet.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment