Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hardy's Crest Chardonnay..a melon explosion?

Hardy’s Crest Chardonnay 2009 – SE Australia – 13.5%

I think I have a genuine problem with Chardonnay – I don’t know if it’s just the trashy image or the dryness, or my stubborn preference for deep reds. But anyhow I opened it now so here goes.

Hardy's Crest Chardonnay

Hardy's Crest Chardonnay

The first impression (after rasing an eyebrow at the impressive image projection on the Crest adorned label) was one of sticky alco pop or fruit pop, slight citrus but more predominantly melon – and actually the (somewhat feint) smell and melon taste backdrop is a nice feature.

The longer the sampling the more I found myself bored and the raw monotonic taste and bland dryness began to grate. If I’m being unkind I’d say it was drumming up memories of dentists or hospitals – mouth wash, the fragrance of hospital floor cleaner? Not sure, but whilst the crisp chilled-ness should be making me think of sunshine it somehow isn’t.

To give it its dues it’s not as dry as many a chardonnay and if you’re after an almost fizzy pop-py type of low-end wine it fits the bill. It has little depth but provides a warmth and a strange fizzy kickback.

The label says it’s creamy? Well, it’s a bit of an overstatement (huh marketing), but it does kind of expand in the mouth before delivering that raw punch and on a long lingering taste the explosion of melon is quite distinct, which I’m certain now is the wine’s strongest point.

It was a bad accompanyment to chinese food, but I’m not sure exactly what is the right setting for this one. (An 80’s bar? Ok I’ll stop there..)

Julie’s comment: “crisp but not flavoursome”

[Via http://mygrapevine.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment