Thursday, January 28, 2010

iPost iNevitable iPad iNanity

Me and my love were sat up waiting for a first glimpse of the iPad (this is not true, the news was on last night and we were watching), and she beat me to the flippant response by noting:

“iPad – sounds like a self-perpetuating digital sanitary node”

which is a little nod to Brian Blessed’s legendary quote about the Palm Pilot, of course. I was disappointed to discover that I was also beaten to the tape with my breakfast time gag “Steve Jobs Shrinks To Size of Mouse: Miniaturisation App Backfires At Launch of iPhone 3GS”, to go with this photo:

by at least half the world. The early bird, (insert Apple-don’t-do-viruses worm joke) and all that

Anyway, the new Apple half-laptop might well change the world forever. This is something I think should be encouraged, because planetarily we need a break from the old routine, as Oui 3 once suggested.

Whether digitising everything to achieve it is a good idea is another point for discussion, a discussion in which people who still like to go to the cinema, read a book without switching something on other than a lamp, etc, etc, probably will have no ultimate say, given that they do not tweet or blog, even disliking neologistic terms such as tweet or blog, have just got round to thinking animated cats are a pretty neat idea, perhaps even consider the interweb to be, like Spinal Tap, a passing thing.

Don’t get me wrong! I’m not a Luddite. The last week or two has seen me become expert on mobile phone offerings in the UK market, in the hope of not getting stuck with a battery-eating lump of unused applications and tiny buttons again (although I expect this too is an expiring sigh of consumer idealism). I embrace stuff that makes it easier to do worky things, it’s just the whole ’saving me time and effort in my leisure cycle as well’ thing. Why would I need to have 64GB of films, books and music with me anyway? May I never be so distracted.

If asked to choose between an evening watching films on a glorified Etch-a-Sketch and partaking of actual social intercourse in the laudable manner of Shelby Lynne… I think it’s got to be a wine, vinyl and doobie party all the way.

[Via http://themortalbath.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment