Sunday, January 10, 2010

First open mic poetry slam

Hello.

read me, write me, understand me

I’m really proud of myself for attending an open mic poetry slam last night, and without having planned it I stood up and read one of my poems to the crowd. In a way, I secretly always wanted to do that but was scared and nervous to share personal thoughts with strangers, but that’s the whole reason why I started blogging in the first place; to get used to sharing my work with the public. No longer just a closet-writer hiding away in my journals in my bedroom, but a confident writer who can share my passion for prose available for all to read and hear.

So I was really nervous right before I took the leap to stand up and read but I realized, just as in most cases, once you start doing it and you’re in it the nerves subside and the only thoughts are of the moment you are in. The audience’s applauds felt really good as it affirmed to me that people DO want to listen to what I have to say. I really could get used to this open mic stuff! Somewhere between the Bordeaux wine I sipped on, the dim candlelight, and the poetic souls around me, I felt the courage to be a part of it.

Since I didn’t go there ready, I just looked up on my iphone the poem I had posted on Facebook and read it straight off of my page. This is what I shared:

~~Endings are Beginnings~~ Monday, July 13, 2009 at 10:13pm |

standing on a platform

one you built in life

overlooking the blue ocean

that was my granted childhood sight

frozen near the edge of the cliff

questioning why you left

letting Death win a cowardly fight

raised a sheltered fence

to secure me from falling

but I couldn’t be there

to protect you from dieing

now I’m left crying

inching closer to the blue

wondering if I fall

will I swim back to you

because you departed

from a lonely lovely world

pondering if your new destination

might have endless sunny elation

feeling cheated that you were stolen

ripped from out of my arms

losing grip

as you slowly slipped into abyss

I miss

everything about you

maybe I’ll jump and come join you

because torn is my heart

and you own a part

return it to me

demanding unselfishly

unfair the music stopped

when the machetes struck the rock

and now silence makes me cry

next to you I want to lie

close my eyes and let go

just like a free bird fly

lose my breath

as I take my last

and in slow motion

stare at the sky

slide down to earth and die

no longer feel the room dim

off my favorite cliff with a grin

Red Cliff side

where legend has it

two lovers had also died

when their destiny seemed unfulfilled

that haunts me

looking into their eyes

as my life subsides

and in a vision I see your face

smiling and inviting me inside.

(7/13/09) Denise Aktipis

{!MiA}

[Via http://mia2bohemia.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment