Saturday, January 16, 2010

Calistoga is Good for the Soul

Happy weekend!

So last I wrote, we were on our way to Cyrus for a drink. It was a great place for a pre-dinner drink because it was just a block or two from our hotel.

CIMG2069

Sure enough, I got the Meyer Beautiful! The egg white foam on top of the drink was so unique… in a good way.

CIMG2090

After that, we headed back to the plaza for our reservation at Scopa. We had a hard time finding the restaurant because there was no sign anywhere and the restaurant was really small. Luckily, the address popped into my head and we found our way.

We ordered the lupini beans (which reminded me of edamame) and the polenta special to start.

I really wish that I had a better camera, if only so that you guys could see how delicious this polenta looked. It was bubbling and sizzling when it arrived in its scorching hot cast iron skillet. To the point where the leftover cheese got that good, crunchy texture to it. OMG, you guys. The cheese! The cremini mushrooms! After my first bite, I forgave Tobey for over-ordering. :)

CIMG2100

We shared the pizza special, which had leeks, ricotta insalata,marinara and homeade sausage on it.

CIMG2106

This morning, we went to the gym and then I walked over to Flying Goat for coffee.

I needed coffee after last night – random tangent here – somehow we got a room next to a bar that had Thursday night karaoke. This was annoying because our hotel was definitely nowhere near being full and they had to know that the bar next door has Thursday night karaoke. It was funny at first, but not when I was trying to fall asleep! Frustrating, right?

Anyway, there was a long line for coffee and somehow I ended up talking to a girl about blogs that we read. Fast friends in a coffee shop line? I love it.

CIMG2116

I got a soy cafe au lait (coffee and steamed soymilk).

CIMG2113

Tobey and I met back up at the karaoke bar hotel for breakfast. I always look forward to their housemade granola- it has almonds, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, coconut and brown sugar in it. I don’t know what else is in it, but it’s so addicting.

CIMG2123

CIMG2145

Relaxing after breakfast…

CIMG2150

Tobey, at his fancy winery- this picture cracks me up because he looks so serious.

CIMG2157

We headed over the mountain and now we’re in Napa Valley… we’re staying in Calistoga for the night before we head over to Yountville. Calistoga reminds of an old Western walking town… it doesn’t seem like much changes here, which totally adds to the charm.

We had lunch at Bosko’s, an Italian restaurant.

CIMG2175

I had the minestrone soup and we shared a quattro formaggio (mozzarella, fontina, gorgonzola and pecorino) pizza. Pizza for dinner and pizza for lunch!

We hated it–

CIMG2169

Then, we walked over to the Sharpsteen Museum of Calistoga History.

CIMG2170

I learned that Calistoga became a popular vacation spot in 1850, after people realized that they had access to stock ticker tape and telegraph service. It seems like people gravitate towards places with hot springs, which tells me that people have always been somewhat interested in healing methods. :)

CIMG2178

After our little history lesson, we checked into the Chanric Inn. The innkeeper, Ric, was very welcoming & hospitable. Places like this make me love bed & breakfasts.

CIMG2183

CIMG2187

I am so looking forward to the 3 course breakfast tomorrow morning after seeing this…

CIMG2191

Do you prefer staying in hotels or bed & breakfasts?

I like a mix of both… sometimes, I like the predictability of hotels, and other times, I like the unpredictability of bed & breakfasts.

-Laura

[Via http://lauradishes.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment