Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mad about Madison

I’m moving to MADISON, WI

state st.

and I’ve been a bit preoccupied researching the city and planning the move.  I’m so excited about all of the little treasures this city has to offer. Below is just a taste… a few ideas for my first weekend there.

Happy Mouth and Busy Hands

I’d never heard of a coffee shop and yarn store combination before, but it seems logical, hence why Madison has a few:

The Sow’s Ear 125 S. Main St., Verona, WI

located in the near by town of Verona this little shop offers fresh brews, yummy cafe fare, including a few vegan friendly options,  and all the knitting supplies you’ll need to take one of their classes.  I feel like I could lose a few Saturday afternoons to this place.

Lakeside Fibers 402 W. Lakeside St.

Has a beautiful view of Monona Bay and the Capitol skyline and in addition to a large selection of knitting supplies and classes they have a selection of wine and beer.  Evening knitting?

Splurge and “Dig”

Of course a girl has to look good at work and since I will no long need to wear business attire it seemly like a good time to spruce up the closet.

Bop 222 W. Gorham St.

is a location of the online store Shop Bop that I have lusted over for a long time.  It’s nice to know that a little city like Madison still has access to the latest trends  and with an actual store to visit maybe i finally will splurge since I am try the clothes on and maybe find a sale rack.

“Dig & Save” St. Vincent De Paul   1900 S. Park St.

,where clothing, books, and household items are sold by the pound.  After splurging at Bop it might be time to spend the rest of the afternoon digging through the bins here to see what treasures I can afford with the change.

Domicile Dreams

For the first time in my life I will have an apartment that is MINE with my things in it. But here in lies the “problem” I don’t own anything to hang on the walls, or put on the coffee table… wait I don’t even own a coffee table. The following places seem like good places to start. There are others… but they seem a little out of my price range.

Satara 5621 Odana Rd.

has organic bedding and towels.  At the very least I intend on spoiling myself with a bamboo towel.

El Kiosco  1348 Williamson St.

is suppose to have vintage and salvaged furniture and house wares… even if it’s not in top shape maybe I can find something to refinish

BEER and food

does this really need a clever title or explanation? In a town with multiple local breweries it only seems to make sense to end a busy weekend afternoon with a few suds and a bite to eat.

Great Dane Pub and Brewing Co. 123 East Doty Street

*much thanks so Design*Sponge for many of these recommendations in their Madison Design Guide

[Via http://nobicycle.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment